1912 article: 'Hospital was opened today'
The following story appeared in the Jan. 8, 1912, edition of a Shamokin newspaper. It is repeated verbatim.
The State Hospital for Injured Persons of the Trevorton, Shamokin and Mount Carmel Coal Fields was opened this morning for the reception of patients and a few moments after the receiving room doors were opened, several patients were admitted, several for treatment for minor injuries and others for more serious ailments.
The first ambulance call was from John Visutski, of 822 E. Race St. Visutski was injured two weeks ago at the Scott Colliery and is suffering from a complication following same. Dr. Reese, superintendent and surgeon-in-chief, accompanied the ambulance on its first official call and looked after the wants of the patient, who is critically ill.
Miss Esther Russell, aged 17 years, residing at the corner of Sunbury and Sixth streets, was admitted and following an an examination was found to be suffering from appendicitis and in all likelihood will be operated upon tomorrow.
A number of patients were admitted to the dispensary and were given medical and surgical treatment by Dr. Reese and the staff of nurses.
The official staff at the institution is made up as follows:
Superintendent and surgeon-in-charge, Dr. George W. Reese.
Chief Clerk, D.R.G. Farrow.
Head nurse, Miss Cora Seebold.
Nurses, Misses Nellie M. Wardrop, Laura McHugh, Florence Landback, Ida Lockett and Anna D. Balsam.
Orderly, George Daukza.
Cook, Mrs. Ida Morris.
Laundress, Mrs. Mary Billman.
Engineer, Wm. Rohrer and Thos. Landy.
Firemen, James Kane and John Dietz.
Driver, Ralph Persing.
The ambulance will respond to all calls, either day or night.