reunion

The 7th Pa. Cavalry held reunions beginning in 1878, thanks to assistance from Grand Army of the Republic posts in many towns. Watsontown was home to Post 225, located on the upper floor of what would become the Santander Bank building. Reunions were held in 1885, 1900, 1913 and 1920 in Watsontown. This photo is from the 1913 reunion in front of the Mansion House.

Editor’s note: Today’s feature is the second detailing letters written home by brothers Uriah and William Hartfranft to family in Delaware Township, Northumberland County, during their service in the Civil War with the 7th Pa. Cavalry, which included members from throughout the county and surrounding counties as well. The first in the series was published here on Jan. 19.

WATSONTOWN — As the war continued, Uriah and William Hartfranft commented on the conditions of troops from both sides of the Civil War, as well as those who chose not to fight to preserve the Union.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.