MOUNT CARMEL — Mattucci’s opened in 1934 as a family-owned and operated business. After 80-plus years, it still is, and a fourth generation of Mattucci chefs is now working in the kitchen serving the community.
Mattucci’s was the first local restaurant to have pizza for sale in 1934. In fact, during the Great Depression, Mattucci’s did its part to help the community by feeding pizza to the needy twice a week.
Today in addition to family, Mattucci’s employees 20 local workers.
In the kitchen, the Mattucci chefs make all of their own products. They bake bread on the premise and the pasta, pastries and dressings are all homemade. All continental and most other dishes are made to order. This can sometimes result in a short wait.
Mattucci’s is located at Fourth and Willow streets and operates from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.