Strong fire

Firefighters work at 122 Third St. in Strong during a residential fire Saturday night. Two people escaped injury in the two-alarm blaze.

STRONG — A grease fire caused by a pan of unattended pierogies is the likely cause of a fire that heavily damaged a home Saturday night.

Gary Hixson, a firefighter with Mount Carmel Area Rescue Squad, and his young daughter escaped injury when the fire started in a one-story addition of 122 Third St., two blocks south of Route 61. A dog, however, perished in the blaze.

News-Item staff writer Larry Deklinski contributed to this report.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.