COAL TOWNSHIP — Firefighters knocked down a blaze at an apartment building at 1051 W. Pine St. in about 30 minutes this afternoon.

Coal Township Assistant Fire Chief Mike Timco, who had command, said it appears the fire, reported about 1 p.m., started in the kitchen at the rear of the two-story building, which houses three apartments. He did not have a cause at this early stage of the investigation.

Timco said some flames were showing upon arrival, but the fire was under control in about 30 minutes. 

The apartment where the fire started suffered, fire, smoke and water damage, and the other two units suffered mostly water and smoke damage, Timco said.

The structure is at the corner of Pine and Poplar streets, next to Bill's Tavern, in a hilly area of the township.

Timco said firefighter Benjamin Straub cut his finger and was taken to Geisinger-Shamokin Area Community Hospital for treatment.

All Coal Township and Shamokin fire stations were dispatched along with Ralpho Fire Co./Overlook, and Kulpmont.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.