SHAMOKIN — Flames damaged at least two buildings in the 100 block of Lincoln Street late Tuesday into Wednesday morning.
Crews were dispatched at 11 p.m. to a working fire at 142 Lincoln Street, reportedly owned by Michael J. Robinson, of 138 E. Lincoln St. Flames were showing from the four-story building upon arrival of the first units and a second alarm was requested within minutes.
An initial dispatch said there was possibly entrapment, but two sweeps of the fire building came up negative.
Flames spread to 138 and flames licked 144, the location of the Kallaway Center for the Arts. Firefighters from several communities fought the flames from all angles as well as an intense interior attack. The majority of the flames were knocked down within two hours.
Chief Bruce Rogers, who had yet to inspect the buildings, said he hopes the Kallaway Center, operated by the Northumberland County Council for the Arts, received only smoke damage.
The third and fourth floors of 142, he said, were burned out and the remainder of the building had smoke and water damage. The attic of 138 was burned out with the rest of the building sustaining smoke and water damage.
Mutual aid crews began leaving the scene around 1:30 a.m. Shamokin Fire Bureau chief staff and investigator Raymond Siko II are expected to continue their investigation later this morning.