The News-Item’s cheers and jeers from the past week of news:

Cheers to the first responders that helped fight Tuesday’s fatal fire on Franklin Street in Shamokin. Patrolman Raymond Siko II recounted his version of events in Saturday’s News-Item and revealed valiant efforts that led to a man being saved while nearly asphyxiating from smoke inhalation. Unfortunately, as Siko pointed out, the story did not have a happy ending, as 23-year old Brea Scandle passed away during the blaze. All employees of The News-Item editorial staff would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to the Scandle family during this time of pain. If there is anything we can do, please feel free to reach out.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.